Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Spanish male, 25

Age: 25
Sex: Male
Nationality: Spanish
Education: Diploma in law studies
Occupation: Student


What did you think about Romania and Romanians before your first contacts with this country or its inhabitants?

In Spain the Romanian community is the third bigger of foreigners after Colombian and Morocco. Even if the great majority of the Romanians are already involve in the normal life there are some communities under the normal living standards (begging at metro stations…..). For this reason the image that people have about Romania and Romanians is quite biased. And I have to admit that even trying to be open minded some of those thoughts were in my mind at the moment I was coming.

Did this image change after getting to know a Romanian or after visiting the country? How?

It did. At the beginning my feeling was somehow of disappointment. Arrive to Bucharest was like arriving to any other European capital and I was expecting something different. I noticed some different things of course but mostly everything was as at home. Neither the people gave me a different impression. At this point I have to admit that I did not travel so much in the countryside and here in Bucharest my life is in the central area.
With time I discovered a deeper face of the city and the people, different way of living and of understanding life, business and everything. Shopping at Obor, at some flea markets at Pantalimon or Militari, there is where I found the Romania I was expecting.
The only thing I missed is the political behavior of the normal people. I was sure that after the communism people were involved. Instead I found out that no so many people care about what was going on with Basescu, with the ministry of Justice or with whatever other political stuffs. At a political scientist this is hard to see and to admit. Also at the social demands most of the Romanian population has not interest, they do not fight for the normal and basic rights and usually they have a very poor opinion of their country and the people. Most of the people I met dream with Europe and they do not consider Romania as a potential country. Most of them seem disappointed and already bored of empty promises, they do not trust in the political elites and they just accept what the system offer them without expecting great things.

Describe in a few words your best encounter with a Romanian.
The woman of a little shop close to the place I live. I think she is the only one who heard my poor Romanian language and everyday she tries to have a longer conversation, she never agrees to sell me two packets of cigarettes, and always put some more telemea than I asked. I know I will remember and miss her.

Describe in a few words your worst encounter with a Romanian.
One night at Lipscani area. I was walking holding the hand of other guy and some young guys came to us more to scare than to have a real fight. It was nothing important but for me is unbelievable that in a capital city as Bucharest is people is still not ready to understand some basic rules of civism.


Which words come to your mind when you think about Romanians in general?
- Easy going
- Conservative
- Daring

Which words come to your mind when you think about Romanian women?
- Submissive
- Accepting to be a sex-toy, very conceited
- Good-looking

Which words come to your mind when you think about Romanian men?
- Rough, rude
- Soccer
- Ursus

What is the age you associate Romania with?
According to my parents´ opinion, which I share, Romania is very similar to Spain 30 years ago.

What is the drink you associate Romania with?
Bere, this is a personal problem, I will answer the same in any other country.

What are the brands you associate Romania with?
Ursus
Dacia
Fornetti
Xerox

Name 3 prominent Romanians
Basescu
Nadia Comaneci
Gheorghe Hagi

What time of the day you associate Romania with?
The late afternoon

Name the country you associate Romania with?
???

What is the main difference between Romania and your country?
Also very personal but for me the night life, even if it is quite ok is very limited in the kind of clubs, music and people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home