Sunday, May 27, 2007

American male, 49

Age: 49
Sex: M
Nationality: American
Education: Masters/ Communication
Occupation: Communication Planning

What did you think about Romania and Romanians before your first contacts with this country or its inhabitants?
I thought of Romania as one of the smaller satellite countries behind the Soviet Iron Curtain. I imagined it as a rural, mountainous country with many villages. I assumed it was very ‘slavic’ and somehow a bridge between countries like Yugoslavia, Hungary and the Soviet Union.
But, I would not be able to discern the difference between Romania, Bulgaria and Hungary for example.
In terms of the capital, I similarly had little impression of Bucharest (I’m one of those hopelessly guilty of previously saying Budapest/ Bucharest).
I knew of Ceausescu’s atrocities but did not know of him by name.
And in the late 90s I became aware of all the stories in the European and American press about children in orphanages after the revolution.
On a more positive note, I knew of Romania’s showing at the Olympics, particularly the now-famous women’s gymnastics team.

Did this image change after getting to know a Romanian or after visiting the country? How?
Very much so…5 trips in 2 months have really opened my mind, particularly to city life. One weekend in the country to see villages as well as a smaller town like Pitesti was a gift—especially to be able and go spend time in a real village. (don’t have a lot of those near New York City)
I feel remiss for not having known how similar the Romanian language and other Latin derived languages are.
I now sense the ‘new energy’ of seeing how quickly life is changing for Romanians (especially from a marketing perspective-- new stores, new brands, and new choices.)
I also am understanding more the impact of 1989: life before it, as well as the death and destruction that occurred during the revolution (a far cry from the Czech ‘velvet revolution’.) To also finally grasp that the revolution was not distant history…that it is a living, personal memory for many, is something I can never fully comprehend.
And I do sense the frustration of daily life—life seems still really hard in Bucharest--the traffic, the hassles, and a government still going through transitions. Romanians will overcome all this, but it is still a time it seems of overwhelming pressure and frustration.

Describe in a few words your best encounter with a Romanian.
I have had many, in my workings with my local colleagues and their warmth once we got to know each other a little better. I have also sensed that warmth in daily dealings with people I don’t know, but who have helped me…at the airport, at the hotel, in a store.
The best?....my colleague sharing his holiday weekend and having me meet his wife’s 75year old grandmother on her small village farm.

Describe in a few words your worst encounter with a Romanian.
I honestly haven’t any --nothing that I can say is ‘bad’. (I’ve had more hassles in my home city of New York, or more rude dealings in cities like Amsterdam, Paris or Geneva!)

Which words come to your mind when you think about Romanians in general?
• “A light under a bushel’—people’s inherent passion/ warmth finally surfacing
• Opinionated-- Sharing opinions seem a national pastime!
• Still some lingering darkness and frustration…still much to overcome.

Which words come to your mind when you think about Romanian women?
• A bit shy first, around foreigners, then warming up
• Passionate
• Hard working in the many roles she plays in life

Which words come to your mind when you think about Romanian men?
Younger/ professional men: (<45)
• Well read, highly optimistic, inquisitive, motivated, hard working
Older/ more blue-collar men (+45)
• Struggling between the old world and the new world

What is the age you associate Romania with?
• Two ages at once….28 and 75

What is the drink you associate Romania with?
Some of the fruit liquors I experienced in the country

What are the brands you associate Romania with?
Tarom Airlines
Dero

Name 3 prominent Romanians
• Ceausescu
• Nadia Comedic
• Ion Ionescu (sp?)

What time of the day you associate Romania with?
Another duality…the possibility of a spring’s mid morning 10am), and the waning light of autumns late afternoon (430pm)

Name the country you associate Romania with?
My visits to China keep coming to mind….mainly the rural villages nearby the secondary cities like a Guangzhou….like two centuries living right next to each other at the same time.


What is the main difference between Romania and your country?
Americans seemed to have forgotten what the purpose of our revolution was (1776) …for independence, a better life, for escape from dictatorial power. ….Romanians on the other hand, haven’t yet forgotten the purpose of their revolution.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home